plasma-desktop leaking file handles?

medhefgo at web.de medhefgo at web.de
Sun Jun 24 15:22:28 UTC 2012

Hi,

I am recently running into file handle leaking issues with plasma-desktop (or
at least that's the culprit I am assuming here).

When dropbox is uploading huge amounts of data in the background (2 or 3
~300MiB), a "watch cat /proc/sys/fs/file-nr" shows an increasing amount of open
file handles over time. To really notice that, dropbox should have uploaded at
least for 2 hours. For my system, the max file handle limit is usually reached
after about 5 hours.

The odd thing and the reason why I chose to post this here (first) instead of
in bugzilla is that lsof does not give me any indications of any file-handle
leaks, whatsoever. While after about 4 hours of uploading the file-nr may show
up at about 40k, lsof shows only about 10k of open files for the whole system.
I know that file-nr != "lsof | wc -l", but this difference is too much. And the
reason I am suspecting plasma-desktop is that file-nr drops from ~40k to ~10k
after killing plasma-desktop. Also, it seems that this leak doesn't seem to
show up if I remove my system tray widget.

This is happening with plasma-desktop from 4.9 beta 2 on an archlinux system.

Now I am wondering if anyone else can reproduce this. And since lsof is giving
me no clue as to what exactly is being leaked, I am at a loss how to
investigate this. Any help would be appreciated.

Jan