Plasma Bug Workflow BOF

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Fri Jun 22 14:30:27 UTC 2012

On Friday 22 June 2012 15:11:42 Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
> As for the current bugs it is crucial that all incoming reports are
> triaged ASAP. We can hold a bugsprint to tackle the remaining
> duplicates and close old ones, but what counts are the bugs that are
> reported now. If we continue to ignore those the b.k.o situation will
> not improve.
it's something we will and have to discuss, but in my humble opinion we have
to get away from triaging. The process is broken and there is no way to deny
it. We have reached the max of scalability a few years ago which resulted in
the mess we currently have. If our number of users continues to grow (and we
all hope they do) the scalability problem will at one point in the future end
all efforts of triaging.

Therefore I want to discuss ways of managing bugs which do not involve
triaging. Let's find solutions which will end in more high quality bugs being
reported, no duplicates and no need for triaging.

Now I'm quite sure that everyone understands what I want and I all ask you now
to not throw into this thread and call blasmephia :-) We should discuss the
options at the BoF and not in a bikeshedding thread. We should be open to
change and encourage the though process.

Our aim is a better product. Let's all remember that. We want as less bugs in
the software as possible, regressions being spotted and fixed before the
release and no crashers. Let's keep that in mind when discussing the bug
workflow. Everything else comes second to that goal.

Cheers
Martin