Team meeting today

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 14:49:42 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 3:03 PM, Martin Gräßlin <mgraesslin at kde.org> wrote:
> On Thursday 21 June 2012 14:47:36 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
>> i can see having a list of maintainers for components that are "strongly
>> maintained" by an individual, such as the comics applet (to pick something
>> completely at random). but then ... using git i'd be able to figure that out
>> immediately as well.
> I see a very good reason to do it:
> getting an overview of what actually has an active maintainer and which parts
> of plasma are currently unmaintained (my translation of "community
> maintained"). For the areas which are unmaintained it is useful to try to
> attract new developers. Maybe someone wants to take care of e.g. the bouncing
> ball. So just for that reason I think it would be a good thing to do it once.
>
> The second reason I think that would be useful is to use the result to adjust
> the default assignee/cc list in bugzilla. Having people caring about "their"
> products inside Plasma would be something nice to have. One maintainer can
> much better get a look over the bugs he is responsible for than the complete
> community maintained approach.
>
> Apart from that I doubt that this list would be maintainable, but it would
> make sense in my opinion to do this as an inventary once a year or so.
>>
>> i can definitely understand wanting to have notation for who oversees which
>> group of technologies: e.g. who is responsible for libplasma, for plasma in
>> workspace and runtime (or which large parts of it...), for solid, for
>> networking, for power management, for window management and composition ..
>> etc. that would be useful for understanding how the overall product splits
>> down into projects with team leadership.
>>
>> is that what we're looking for rather than a module-by-module break down of
>> plasma?
> That's more useful for the main overview, yes. And could include important
> Plasma components like e.g. Battery Applet.
>
> Cheers
> Martin

I'm not sure about this but someone with in depth git knowledge can
probably clarify on this. I think git has an option to at least show
which people commited to which file. If you simply do that for all of
plasma you get a list with people that have been committing to a
specific component. Now if you sort that list by date you filter out
the inactive ones (ones that haven't been active on that component for
a year or so) and done.

Now this won't give the maintainer or any status but it does give an
idea if a certain component is even maintained. Just a random thought
that could be helpful :)

Cheers,
Mark