Plasma Containment default setting

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 11:48:04 UTC 2012

On Thursday 21 June 2012, Martin Klapetek wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 12:40 PM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> > On Wednesday, June 20, 2012 23:54:57 Martin Klapetek wrote:
> > > I imagine this could then be used in Dolphin's context menu 'Actions'
> > > and possibly in Gwenview too.
> >
> > crazy idea: what about using SLC for this? Like -> Use as wallpaper
> >
> > (not share because you aren't sharing with anyone; not really connecting
> > it to
> > anything; and you use it as a wallpaper because you like it that much :)
> >
> > downside: it's not particularly discoverable because people are not used
> > to SLC. i think once someone is used to SLC as a concept it will feel
> > very natural .. but before then it will be a mystery.
> >
> > upside: we would not need to patch each application, and we wouldn't even
> > need
> > to expose a dbus interface (this screams Plasma::Service to me...)
> >
> > thoughts?
>
> Speaking as someone "not used to SLC", do I understand it right, that when
> clicking "Like" it will popup a menu letting you select the "Like" action
> you like? That could be an option, but at least on the desktop, without SLC
> settled in, I wouldn't see it as the "number one place" for this action
> (setting picture as a wallpaper). At least not yet ;)
>
> Thing is - is SLC going to be sort of mandatory on desktop and/or active?
> What if people don't want to use it? In that case, we still need some sort
> of fallback.

chicken and egg problem..
until is not used enough by apps why put it in, until is not in why using it
in apps...

so should start from somewhere.

as being mandatory..
i think it should be part of the default workspace in the future, if the user
wants to remove it, he can remove it, but also the systray can be removed, and
there is no fallback.

maybe using SLC is not the right place, i don't know, my stance on it for now
is: not intuitive, but awesome once discovered.

but if it is, reimplementing this function elsewhere "in the meantime" is not
a good way to go, becuase leads to duplication, so not really in the direction
of elegance we should strive for.
since it won't be possible to remove it from the other places without pain:
another thing to cosider when adding a feature somewhere, is what will be the
price ("social" price?) of removing it in the future, or even just moving it
somewhere else

Cheers,
Marco Martin