Team meeting today

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Jun 21 09:29:55 UTC 2012

On Wednesday, June 20, 2012 21:19:35 Marco Martin wrote:
> this is a very raw synopsis of the meeting, i hope we can now transform it
> in something very productive (i think the meeting especially the last part
> was useful)

thanks for the summary Marco.

at the start of the meeting i also shared some baseline commitments that we
have historically brought with us when we work together on plasma. these
include:

* we know we won't always agree, and that's ok

* we know that we will all from time to time make mistakes, and that's ok too

* we communicate first, act second

* we respect that people have ownership over different parts of the code; code
that is unowned (e.g. because the maintainer is unavailable) is communally
shared. there is never code w/out a maintainer.

* the principle of experimentation: we encourage not just first answers, but
good answers .. even when we aren't sure they are good answers yet.

this is in the irc log, but i wanted to point them out again as they underlie
the points you summarize. they are the reasons and motivations behind those
priciples of behaviour. i believe it is important that we all internalize
them, because then we won't just be learning a set of rules and "how to do $X"
but will have the tools to create those things ourselves from first principles.

and finally, WHY are we here? that's so important because without that there is
no reason to be here and nothing specific to try and create together. for me,
the reason is this:

I believe in freedom in technology, I enjoy making things, I'm really
interested in the areas Plasma tackles and above all I want to have an
environment to work in that is enjoyable, fun, rewarding and full of friends
working together. An environment that is equal parts positive, supportive and
challenging in which we make very cool things that benefit others.

so that's what i try and aim for, even when i miss the mark ;)