RFC: Activities vs Virtual Desktop document on the wiki

Aurélien Gâteau agateau at kde.org
Wed Jun 20 18:36:58 UTC 2012

[Sorry for not replying earlier, I am helping holding a KDE booth at a Linux
exhibition until thursday]

Le samedi 16 juin 2012 14:21:39 Marco Martin a écrit :

> I would like to keep this definition of orthogonality between activities and
> virtual desktops in the definition, describing use cases for
> a) separation by activity
> b) spatial organization
> then describe how b) is coveed by activities.
> If a) is something that should stay in the long years to come, is an open
> question.

Do you have examples of such use cases I could use in the wiki page?

> I clearly see (and clearly came out from the Tree game) that in the end in
> the practical use VDs and Activities often end up overlapping.
> Also virtual desktops are so limited by x11 and netwm tecnicalities that may
> become a slowly fading away legacy.

VD are so ingrained in X11 users it needs to stay available for now. I wonder
what is the status of VD in Wayland though. Does it have support for them? Are
they better, worse?

Aurélien