When should a bug be considered as a regression or a release_blocker?

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Wed Jun 20 20:50:36 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 20 June 2012 22:15:35 Mark wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Yesterday i was looking over quite a few plasma bugs and noticed a lot
> of bug being filled at the new QML components.
> I marked most of them as regressions since they looked like regressions to
> me.
>
> To me the definition of a regression is as follows:
> A regression is an issue that wasn't in the previous release.
yes, that's how I consider a regression. A bug introduced by a code change in
the recent version.

> Things get a bit more complicated with adding the "release_blocker"
> keyword. When do you add that keyword to a bug?
> Thus far i considered a bug a "release_blocker" if the issue means
> that the item is unusable or causing loss of data.
I am very careful about using the release_blocker keyword. We have to properly
judge it. If we add a release_blocker we consider the issue that strong that
it would block all of KDE SC.

Given that I consider only very severe issues a release blocker, such as data
loss or severe damage to the system. Any non-default component cannot be a
blocker in my opinion.

For 4.10 I set one bug to release_blocker in KWin and that was the bug to
track the writing of the kconf update script. I considered not having a
migration as an issue severe enough to say that we cannot release without it.

Cheers
Martin