No "remaining time" option in battery monitor?

Viranch Mehta viranch.mehta at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 12:37:48 UTC 2012

Hi,

I read through the thread provided by Marco and I'd like to give in
my bit of suggestion:

We clearly do not want to mislead the user by giving him a misleading
number (the remaining time). I agree with Aaron that this will make
the user trust his computer less. What I suggest is let the user know
down right that the number might be inaccurate before he chooses to
use the feature. So in the config ui, put a warning in the brackets
beside the config check box: (Warning: the reported remaining time of
the battery will be a predicted value, and hence may be inaccurate).
Now when the user is aware that the remaining time might be misleading
he will keep that in mind whenever he sees the information and whenever
it is wrong, he won't blame his computer.

I'd generally not give my suggestion in a burning discussion, but since
we all agree this is a good feature to have and knowing that the only
roadblock in shipping this feature is the inaccuracy of it, I thought the
above suggestion might work out to "kind of" dissolve the road block,
while relevant people can continue working on making the numbers
more accurate.

Cheers,
Viranch