Quality Team: LCD weather station and calendar (in panel) are really broken

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Jun 14 18:31:29 UTC 2012

On Thursday, June 14, 2012 16:58:55 David Edmundson wrote:
> so much resistance. Reviews are slow,

often they happen the same day, sometimes they don't. i would like them to be
faster as well. when i keep on top of them and do the reviewing myself, it is
fast. when i don't ... well ..

> replies on maliing lists (such
> as this one) can be very condescending instantly blaming an entire
> team for a lack of communication and most ML threads seem to derail
> into arguments.

this has only been the case since a recent expansion of the project happened
and new people joined in. this has not been the status quo for the last few
years, and it is not enjoyable for anyone.

> Have you discussed the weather LCD applet with the team before denying
> the request.

yes, on this very list. Luís Gabriel suggested a solution, as someone who is
working on what may well be the next revision of the weather applet (done this
time with QML). i agreed that solution would work. it was then implied that
this was not acceptable, and we really should just do what the QA team says.
this is completely unnacceptable.

as for decision making authority, in KDE that is the maintainer.

the author of the weather dataengine is currently unavailable, and in lieu of
them being here, then the maintainership falls on my shoulders.

i also happen to be the module maintainer for the repository this component is
in.

this is the standard way of doing things, and it works if people respect that.
i find it disapointing that i need to somehow defend that i am allowed to make
decisions over code that i maintain.

> I've not seen anything? Either you haven't, and have just
> decided on behalf of your entire team which isn't a good example of
> communication, or there's a communication channel which doesn't
> include me...which again isn't a good example of good inclusive
> communication.

you will notice that Ben answered first. then Luís, with a possible solution.
then i replied to Luís. what other discussion in the open are you expecting?

> The real reason this happened this sort of things happens is because
> Plasma does not have an attitude of everyone doing reviews. Everyone

i'm not sure what you are saying here. i can read this a few different ways,
but i can't relate it to the topic of the LCD widget or communication on this
list.

are you refering to the commit that was reverted? could you explain what you
mean by the above a bit more so i can respond accurately? thanks.