kde plasma workspace structure

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Sat Jun 9 12:13:49 UTC 2012

On Saturday 09 June 2012 13:18:04 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Saturday, June 9, 2012 12:37:47 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> > There might be a misunderstanding. I do not say that we have to require
> > OpenGL compositing, I'm saying that the stack underneath us broke for the
> > non composited case (either XRender or OpenGL). If you want I can search
> > for the bug reports where things are broken only for non-composited setups
> > (that is a complete shift over the last two years).
>
> yes, i'd appreciate it if you could.
an example would be #300996

> btw: i run without compositing on my main laptop most of the time. other
> machines in the house run with compositing on.
May I ask why? And have you considered using XRender? I would be surprised if
it would not render your system snappier

> > Do you have any numbers for the non-Linux systems?
>
> nope. :)
>
> > I would be interested to
> > know how many there really are. I just did my "metric" by looking at the
> > bug reports reported over the last 12 months on KWin and that gives me 3
> > bugs reported on FreeBSD and 3 on Solaris, compared to 824 on Linux.
>
> they also represent developers and testers.
>
> one can chase the end user sooooo hard that we kill the community in the
> process. some other projects have managed to do this and it hurts the
> sustainability of the project in the long term.
>
> > Personally I have a problem with saying we support something, that:
> > a) we don't test
>
> they test it. that's the entire point of distributed, open development: we
> don't have to do everything. this way even groups in the minority can get
> the service they want.
But I don't see them test it. E.g. I know that for at least a year KWin is non
functional with mesa drivers on BSDs, but there is no bug report about it.

> there is a difference between saying "you have to test this.." and "we are
> dropping your platform so you can't even do that." the latter closes doors.
agreed in that, though I think we already reached the point where the door is
almost closed. And there is lots of functionality out there ready to be used
in KDE which will make it harder and harder, think of systemd, Wayland
(theoretically possible one BSDs support KMS), udev, ...

Cheers
Martin