possible topic for sprint: wayland

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Jun 8 12:54:25 UTC 2012

hi ...

while most discussion has concentrated so far on "what the (#*$ is plasma?",
for which i nominate this as the official theme song:

	http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrDui7xeGv0

and looking at topics regarding specific functionalty integration (e.g. "how do
we deal with beamers", "what about social media?") there's another topic
looming that will impact all of our efforts: wayland.

kwin needs more people working on its wayland compositor.

there is a lot of X11 API usage in Plasma Desktop for things like panel
unhiding.

XAtom are used in in libplasma for window manager integration. (in Frameworks,
that code has moved to libkwindowsystem, but the issue is no different as the
code was just moved, not modified)

Active is probably a perfect testbed for Wayland integration (simpler use
cases, hardware clearly defined, etc.) but then we need a plan for how to
determine that Wayland support is good enough to use in Active, good enough to
bring to Desktop and Netbook, and how to actually do that.

Qt gets Wayland support in Qt5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQXkQ2QgFZY

it will be a significant step forward for F/OSS clients, and it would be great
to be a step ahead here to take advantage of it.

i don't know if people will have the time or interest in discussing this at
the sprint, but it would be an excellent topic to at least start discussion
on.

p.s. at Tokamaks in the past, we've take on topics that we know will not get
implemented between now and the next Tokamak. we discuss them so that when the
next Tokamak happens, we can start with fully formed ideas and the necessary
research done. it has been rather useful in ensuring progress gets made.