KDE architecture diagram

Aurélien Gâteau agateau at kde.org
Fri Jun 8 12:01:45 UTC 2012

Le vendredi 8 juin 2012 12:20:43 Aaron J. Seigo a écrit :
> > If I am not mistaken, kde workspace and plasma active are developed in
> > different repositories,
>
> kde-runtime is also developed in a different repository. so is folderview,
> which is definitely part of KDE Workspaces; it's also in Plasma Desktop, but
> not Plasma Active. where something is developed depends on a number of
> factors: how it is packaged, what its dependencies are, development
> conveniences .. etc.
>
> when you consider that QML bindings which are now critical to all the
> Workspaces are in kde-runtime, folderview is in kdebase-apps and only
> relevant to Desktop and Netbook, that the DataEngines in kde-workspace are
> critical to all Workspaces, that the QML components in kde-runtime were
> developed first in plasma-mobile and then migrated there when they were
> ready for wide use so we can use them in all Workspaces .... it becomes
> apparent that repository structure does not beget the technical design.

As I answered to Sebas, I was not aiming at charting technical design, but
rather at identifying products and how they are grouped.

> > and target different devices.
>
> so does Netbook, but it's in kde-workspace.

True, the argument they target different devices is not relevant and should be
ignored.

Nevertheless, from a product point-of-view, KDE SC ships (among other
products) two Plasma workspaces, Plasma Active ships another one. To the end-
user (and I guess the new developer) they are different products. Which
developers work on which products is orthogonal to the fact they are different
products: when someone talks to me about KDE SC, KDE Workspace, or Plasma
Active, I care about what technical artefacts (as in binaries, libraries,
components, data assets) those terms encompass, not who wrote the code (unless
I got it completely wrong and the "Plasma Active" term designates a community
of developers, just like the "KDE" term now does)

Aurélien