Thoughts on the Iteration Sprint, discussions and criticism

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Jun 6 11:52:55 UTC 2012

On Wednesday, June 6, 2012 12:49:04 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Wednesday, 2012-06-06, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > the elements that debuted in the Active shell are usable in Desktop, and
> > the intention is, and has always been, to bring things like SLC to the
> > default desktop layout (we're waiting on a few key library adjustments,
> > for Active we just patch kdelibs; so desktop integration may need to wait
> > for frameworks 5 / libplasma2 as a result). this has been discussed at
> > sprints and on mailing lists which i know you are on.
>
> Sorry for interrupting the thread but this reminded me that there was
> someone on the user mailinglist who was interested in looking into that

cool; right now we have all the pieces working, but the big benefit comes when
we patch kparts .. and it shouldn't go into a release until the frameworks 5
release as it is a (rather big) new feature.

there will still be some apps that will need to be individually patched
because they do not use kparts which operate on files. that can happen right
now using libkactivities from the kactivities repository. i'm thinking of
applications like marble or kmail.

anyone interested in working on those things is welcome to do so, and we're
happy to help with the libkactivities side, thought that's pretty trivial: you
make a KResourceInstance and tell it what URLs / data the app is showing :)