Thoughts on the Iteration Sprint, discussions and criticism

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Jun 6 10:00:43 UTC 2012

On Wednesday, June 6, 2012 11:27:39 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> My understanding: Plasma is a technology to create user experiences.
> One of the experience is desktop, one is active. That active nowadays
> seems also related to the desktop formfactor is complete news to me.

perhaps you can help me understand this a bit more, because i'm a little
confused myself. consider the following list of properties, and then please
help me understand how it was that it never occured to you that they are
related (which is an understatement of the actual relationship):

we use the same technology and the technical design is identical:
shell/windowanager, plasmoids and containments, DataEngines and models, ....

we use the same components on both: nearly every element in the active panel
was originally developed on the desktop, and they remain shared to this day.
ditto for plasmoids.

the elements that debuted in the Active shell are usable in Desktop, and the
intention is, and has always been, to bring things like SLC to the default
desktop layout (we're waiting on a few key library adjustments, for Active we
just patch kdelibs; so desktop integration may need to wait for frameworks 5 /
libplasma2 as a result). this has been discussed at sprints and on mailing
lists which i know you are on.

beyond code, we share concepts from one to the other constantly. activities is
one major area, and we've discussed for at least 6 months now how we can
eventually make it possible to easily sync activities between devices
(laptops, desktops, tablets, $WHATEVER)

development in support layers like QML lands in the all workspaces
simultaneously.

it's done by the same team of people.

we've been talking about device spectrum on this list for years, i've been
giving presentations about it at conferences, including kde ones, for probably
just as long. we've blogged about it many times over several years. here's two
examples google found for me:

	http://aseigo.blogspot.ch/2011/09/plasma-active-entering-beta.html
	http://aseigo.blogspot.ch/2010/01/key-quest-device-spectrum.html

we've done this before with plasma netbook.

so yes, we have multiple targetted user experiences. one targets touch
appliances, the other general purpose laptop/desktops, another netbooks. but
they target the same kind of audience, they share technology, they are
designed to work together.

i'm shocked that these ideas are not being internalized by people who have
been on this and other relevant mailing lists for some time. :/ we're doing
something wrong here.

is the idea too radical?
are we not paying attention to each other, head down in our code?
do we not think about architectural issues?

please help me understand where the disconnect is happening.