Thoughts on the Iteration Sprint, discussions and criticism

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Jun 6 08:58:30 UTC 2012

On Wednesday, June 6, 2012 01:09:55 Aleix Pol wrote:
> I've always considered Active a Project on top of KDE/Plasma because
> it carries concerns out of the scope of the shell, like the OS. What

Active has the same relationship that Plasma Desktop and Plasma Netbook have.
it has also driven much of the improvements and innovation in libplasma and
kde-runtime support for plasma in the last year.

so in one sense, it is a project on top of KDE Plasma .. but so is Desktop and
Netbook. and they are all joined together because a fundamental concept is to
write components (visual and data) and design interaction concepts once and
re-use them between the different target device form factors.

the reasons for this are:

* we do not have the manpower to do a separate technology for each device type
we'd like to target

* the user gets a more dynamic, consistent and better tested environment when
the technology is shared

this is what we mean by "device spectrum". we'd like to add other categories
of devices as we go. as we do this, they also need to work seamlessly with the
other existing device targets. for this reason, it is critical to see all
these efforts as one extended effort with huge overlap. trying to divide the
different shells into their own worlds will erode the benefits above and likely
doom the device spectrum effort completely.

so that's where they are the same... Active is also different in 2 ways: we
also have people working on the OS stack (because we need to support one
ourselves, not because we want to do this; thankfully we get this "for free"
on laptops/desktops :) and we work on some critical applications which on the
desktop we have other developers happily doing.

these apps are built on existing KDE code, however. for instance, we took
okular and threw a bit of QML on top to make a ebook reader, and that lives in
the okular repo. i would realy like to get out of the app effort, but until
other people get the burning urge to write touch appropriate UIs for their
apps, we need to help out.

in future, our app involvements should merge back into KDE's usual application
devel community. some apps (Marble, Kontact, Calligra) are already self-
sufficient; we're just filling in the cracks with things like ebook readers, web
site chrome, file manager, etc. so while it is a short term necessity, this is
the biggest part of Active which is not applicable to the rest of our Plasma
efforts, and should generally be ignored when trying to figure out what the
Plasma Active <-> Plasma Desktop relationship is.

what i think we can learn in Plasma Desktop from the app effort in Plasma
Active is that concepts like activities, share-like-connect and common UI
language are very compelling when applied to applications. this is certainly
an area that core KDE applications could improve, and the goals (or reasons)
for this can be seen in how Active has ended up looking and working.

> Now I've always considered that this was fine (even after being to the
> PA3 sprint). You can widen the definition and say that Active can fit
> the desktop, but then it turns quite blurry to me what is what. I

Active does not fit the desktop, it _is_ the desktop, and vice versa.

the same technology is used across all form factors. innovations done while
working on Active apply to Desktop, and vice versa. only relatively small bits
at the top of the UX change.

this is also not a widening of the definition, it is how it has always been
from day 1. 1-2 years before Active was started we were talking about device
spectrum thinking.

> Maybe a Venn diagram of what is Plasma, Active and KDE, would be helpful.

KDE is a community, so there's no intersection there. :)

Active is the act of bringing Plasma to consumer electronic devices that are
more like appliances than the usua desktop/laptops we target with Desktop and
Netbook; our starting point is (relatively) large-screen touch devices.

Plasma is the combination of:

* underlying technology design (libplasma, kde-runtime/plasma/)

* the shells (plasma-desktop, plasma-netbook, plasma-device)

* the required applications to create a full workspace (window manager kwin,
run command krunner, system monitoring ksysguard, etc.)

* core components (plasmoids, DataEngines, QML components, data models, etc.)
for essential use cases (we try to leave other components to the larger
community; everyone deserves to have some fun too :)