Bugzilla cleanup - status report, what's next

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kde.org
Mon Jun 4 12:51:14 UTC 2012

Heya Plasma developers,

This mail just to give you a little heads up on what has been done:

As you can see for yourself in the bugzilla statistics [1], you now
have roughly -1200 open reports.
Approx. 790 bugs are still open and
approx. 250 bugs are in NEEDSINFO status.

Of the latter some will be closed, some will be reopened, depending on
the feedback given in the next weeks..

Just to give credit: I was certainly not the only one doing the
cleaning, there were quite a few more who did a lot of work,
especially Jekyll Wu, Thijs Heus and Anne-Marie Mahfouf to only
mention a few of them.

So what comes next?

* Saved Searches: I strongly encourage you to make saved searches for
the components. The advantage is that you can share those with others
and handling bugs by components is a nice way to have small portions
which makes the bug count nicer to handle.

* NEEDSINFO bugs: Please make it a routine to check the bugs where you
asked for feedback at least once a month. I already made a saved
search listing all those bugs, but to really make the status NEEDINFO
useful for triaging this should not be used as a garbage bin where you
push things you can forget about. Please remember that if you ask for
information you also need to follow up on this.

* Commit hooks: As a friendly reminder: please always remember to use
the commit hooks, this will make your life easier in the long run and
also eases the triaging work.

*Up/Downstream bugs: If you handle bugs related to upstream or
downstream issues it would be nice to ask the reporter to give
feedback of their report up-/or downstream, our bugzilla
implementation has a field for external bugracker links that should be
used.

And lastly: bug reports are made by users who want to help to make our
software better, please be nice with them and they will be nice with
you :)

An IRC bugzilla training will be offered in #kde-bugs on the weekend
of June 9th and 10th. Please visit the #kde-quality IRC channel for
information about it or just ask your question in #kde-bugs. Please
read also Martin's b.k.o for developers series [

Regards, Myriam.

[1] https://bugs.kde.org/weekly-bug-summary.cgi?tops=20&days=24 This
link will not stay correct as I made it for the last 24 days when the
cleanup started.
[2] http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2012/04/blog-series-bugs-kde-org-for-developers/

http://www.fsfe.org