Complex configuration dialog for pure QML applet

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 14:18:11 UTC 2012

On Tuesday 17 July 2012, Dmitry wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm trying to implement system tray in QML. I'm trying to implement
> configuration dialog (widget). Pure QML-based applet  "devicenotifier"
> is an example of implementation of configuration dialog for QML applet.
> But it has only 3 simple radio buttons in its configuration dialog. Its
> way to implement configs dialog isn't possible in my case. The
> configuration dialog (widget) of system tray is complex and it isn't
> possible to get access to this dialog from QML/JS. Moreover, it isn't
> possible from C++ also, because the function
> Plasma::Applet::createConfigurationInterface() isn't accessible (I
> cann't extend Plasma::Applet because applet is QML-based).
>
> Do you have any ideas what can I do? Is extending of functionality
> expected in the future?
>
> Thank you!

unfortunately is not possible.

kconfigxt is quite limited, what would be needed is qml files used for the
config ui.
this has never been done because to make sense it would need to be styled like
qwidgets, but we don't have desktop components at the moment (luckily are in
development, but unlikely before qt5)

so no, at the moment the only way really is doing a c++ applet that uses qml
just for ui.

in this particular case, i would say is the best way to go anyways, since a
systray replacement to be complete needs to support also the old x11 protocol
and i really want to avoid applets with their own c++ import, thinking to
formalize this requirement (nothing installed in imports) for plasmoids to be
included by default

Cheers,
Marco Martin