ownCloud Plasma client

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Wed Jul 11 22:34:24 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 8:11 PM, Sebastian Kügler <sebas at kde.org> wrote:
> hi all,
>
> During Akademy, we had a BoF session to improve KDE integration with ownCloud.
> One of the things we came up with is a new architecture for the client. The
> reasons for that is that we want to move things out of the system tray, we
> want to make the client touch-friendly (so it can also be used on devices
> running Plasma Active).
>
> The new architecture will be three-tiered:
>
> - a daemon taking care of synching and all the hard work
> - a plasmoid to show status and do basic interaction
> - a configuration module that plugs into the system's settings UI
>
> A photo taken after the BoF illustrates this:
> - http://vizzzion.org/stuff/kde/akademy2012-owncloud-bof.jpg
>
> I've started hacking on the latter two, with some good progress so far.
> There's a basic Plasmoid and active settings module. The data shown is fake so
> far, next up on my list is the daemon and the dbus interface between those
> two. The nice thing is that by using Plasma packages, we can share most of the
> code between settings module and plasmoid (they load the same C++ objects to
> interact with OC, and the QML bits are also shared).
>
> Next on the list:
>
> - daemon, to use Klaas work on the split out lib
> - dbus interface between the parts
>
> The current code can be found at
> - http://vizzzion.org/stuff/kde/owncloud-plasma-alpha1.diff
>
> You can see the current status in the following two screenshots:
> - http://vizzzion.org/stuff/kde/owncloud-plasmoid-alpha1.png
> - http://vizzzion.org/stuff/kde/owncloud-settings-alpha1.png
>
> Comments, critique and praise most welcome =)
>
> Cheers,
> --
> sebas
>
> http://www.kde.org | http://vizZzion.org | GPG Key ID: 9119 0EF9

Hi!
First of all, it's good to see people pushing owncloud (and
synchronization) in general in KDE, I think it's something really
needed. Kudos for that! :)

Now, I just wanted to say that it doesn't look like something it would
be on the system tray... maybe a KCM would be better? Or integrating
with Alex's WebAccounts?

Aleix