[RFC] Remove Xinerama related options

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 15:52:00 UTC 2012

Am 20.01.2012, 13:31 Uhr, schrieb Martin Gräßlin <mgraesslin at kde.org>:

> On Friday 20 January 2012 13:11:03 Alex Fiestas wrote:
>> On Friday, January 20, 2012 11:32:13 AM Martin Gräßlin wrote:
>> > From the userinterface the only useful option is "Show unmanaged
>> windows
>> > on" which should be kept.

Errrheemmm ...  hehe .... uummmm....

It writes "Unmanaged" to [Windows] in kdeglobals from where it is at least
not read by KWin (which would not place unmanaged windows anyway)
KWin reads XineramaPlacementScreen and ("somehow") uses it to place
*managed* windows.
I however don't know where a GUI config for this would reside and there's
no such entry in my entire ~/.kde/share/config dir - which contains
veeeery old files...

So basically i guess this option is dead (unless it's read somewhere else
and exported to the root window - but i don't know. My root window looks
unspectacular in this regard)

On general topic, i'm pretty much with Sebastian - "Make one HUGE screen"
./. "Make many Screens" should be entirely sufficient*, having different
placement, maximization and resistance behavior sounds weird and otherwise
the kcm looks like it crosses krandr.

Cheers,
Thomas

*not sure whether this would lower code complexity, though...