[RFC] Remove Xinerama related options

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Fri Jan 20 12:26:12 UTC 2012

On Friday 20 January 2012 13:09:18 Xavier IZARD wrote:
> Martin Gräßlin a écrit :
> > Hi workspace developers,
> >
> > KWin provides the option to turn off multi screen aware window management.
> > This results in windows being maximized over both screens or fullscreen
> > windows being stretched over all screens. These options make the code much
> > more complex and add confusing configuration dialogs to our workspace (see
> > attached screenshot).
> >
> > Example code:
> > int Workspace::numScreens() const
> > {
> >
> >      if (!options->xineramaEnabled)
> >
> >          return 1;
> >
> >      return Kephal::ScreenUtils::numScreens();
> >
> > }
> >
> > I personally fail to understand why the options are needed and why they
> > have been added in the first place. With git blame I was not able to go
> > back so far in the history to find when they were added. Note: the
> > xinerama code used also to be ifdefed, so I could imagine it being from a
> > time back when multi screens was a new feature.
> >
> >> From the userinterface the only useful option is "Show unmanaged windows
> >> on">
> > which should be kept. All other options make in my opinion just no sense.
> >
> > If nobody sees any good reason to keep these options I would prepare the
> > removal.
> >
> > The reason is btw not to remove options, but to decrease the complexity of
> > the code as shown above and the fact that it is a break my system setting
> > which happened more than once that users complained about maximize not
> > working any more.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Martin
>
> Hi,
>

> Could be more clear about the behaviour of kwin without these options ?
>
> I suppose that the behaviour would be the same as when all these options
> were checked ? (ie, maximize & fullscreen work on each screen
> independently, magnetic borders, ...)
yes, everything would be like the options are checked

> What about persons who group monitors to do a huge monitor panel ?
> (video wall).
> What about people who use very large monitor needing dual video inputs ?
those can disable xinerama support through xorg.conf

> My personal usage is (was) this one : I uncheck the option "Enable
> multiple monitor window fullscreen support" (all other options are
> checked). So that :
> -> When working on my computer, the maximized windows spawn only one
> monitor at a time, I get magnetic borders, ...
> -> When watching movie (fullscreen mode), the display spawns all my
> monitors thus doing a video wall.
so you would only need one of the options, the fullscreen one? And in fact you
only want that for vlc, right? You don't want the option for let's say
Firefox?

So e.g. a KWin script taking care of setting the fullscreen video player to
all screens would suit you better, right?

> Sorry, but what I see here is a powerful feature of KDE that is going to
> disappear ...
>

> Regards,
> Xavier
>
> P.S. I am the "author" of the option "Enable multiple monitor window
> fullscreen support"
Thanks for providing your feedback. This is appreciated and quite helpfull.

Cheers
Martin