[RFC] Remove Xinerama related options

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Fri Jan 20 11:01:41 UTC 2012

Hi Martin,

On Friday, January 20, 2012 11:32:13 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> KWin provides the option to turn off multi screen aware window management.
> This results in windows being maximized over both screens or fullscreen
> windows being stretched over all screens. These options make the code much
> more complex and add confusing configuration dialogs to our workspace (see
> attached screenshot).
>
> Example code:
> int Workspace::numScreens() const
> {
>     if (!options->xineramaEnabled)
>         return 1;
>     return Kephal::ScreenUtils::numScreens();
> }
>
> I personally fail to understand why the options are needed and why they
> have been added in the first place. With git blame I was not able to go
> back so far in the history to find when they were added. Note: the
> xinerama code used also to be ifdefed, so I could imagine it being from a
> time back when multi screens was a new feature.
>
> From the userinterface the only useful option is "Show unmanaged windows
> on" which should be kept. All other options make in my opinion just no
> sense.
>
> If nobody sees any good reason to keep these options I would prepare the
> removal.

I've been using various dual screen setups for more than ten years now, and
*never* changed any of the options shown there. I think they are useless, and
I don't see how changing any of these would improve the desktop experience.
For the minority who thinks they really do need it, just disabling Xinerama
probably makes more sense.

sebas