Heads up, working on autocompletion and breadcrumbbar!

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 15:21:15 UTC 2012

Hi,

This is just a mail to inform people that I'm working on auto completion
for QML.
Initially this was meant for my Breadcrumbbar that i'm also making for QML,
but after making the completion logic in C++ i figured that i might as well
make a generic version that can be used to autocomplete about anything.

Work log (AutoComplete):
- C++ side auto completion: done
- Auto completion QML component (AutoCompleter): todo
- Ability to use "AutoCompleter" with TextField and a "dropdown" (where is
that QML plasma component?): todo

Work log (BreadcrumbBar):
- C++ side: 90% done (uses the C++ AutoComplete as described above along
with KIO)
- Binding it to QML: todo
- BreadcrumbBar qml side: 90% done (no auto completion in it yet and there
is no theme for it)

My goal with the breadcrumbbar is to make it work exactly like the bar in
Dolphin. Only then written in QML and with fancy animations and that is
working really well at the moment ^_^

I'm not using QCompleter or KUrlCompletion because both are way to complex
for auto completion needs. I have it nearly all working in max 200 lines of
code! Not something i can say for KUrlCompletion:
http://api.kde.org/4.x-api/kdelibs-apidocs/kio/html/kurlcompletion_8cpp_source.html

QCompleter was also not usable since i didn't want to use a model for this.
The classes i made just return a QStringList with the result and emit a
signal as soon as they find a match along with a signal to indicate it's
done searching.

I do have a question with this.. The QML files and binding should probably
go in kde-runtime, but i'm guessing not in "plasmacomponents".. Do i need
to make a new folder called "plasmaextracomponents" for this?
And where do i need to place the C++ files? in kdelibs? (where exactly) or
in kde-runtime along with the bindings in "plasmaextracomponents"?

As soon as i know that i can make the required branches and put the code
somewhere visible.

Kind regards,
Mark