session applets to QML: konsole, konq merged

Shaun Reich shaun.reich at kdemail.net
Thu Jan 5 03:27:31 UTC 2012

The konsole and konq session applets have just been merged into
kdeplasma-addons master.

It'd probably be best to eventually merge the konsole one into
konsole.git I suppose, so that it'd follow the same schema as kate,
and then do the same for the soon-to-be-started/finished kdevelop
applet.

What Works:

* They should all be functionally equivalent to their C++
counter-parts. The C++ ones had all the logic in their applets, I
stripped this out into their own dataengines and their own QML
applets.

* It all works, including plasma popups and scrollbars.

What Doesn't:

* The PlasmaComponents.Highlighter I could not get to work properly.
I'm uncertain if this is an issue in the component, or my handling of
the component. All I know is that the FrameSVG, which was the same
code as what's contained in the Highlighter code, was being used for
the ListView's highlight: property.

Changing it from my code, to the plasma component's code creates some
nasty resizing/positioning bugs with the highlighter. It overstretches
past the listview and from the below[1] linked code, you can see I
tried to manually set width, height, anchors and all kinds of things..

Additionally, I think I'd like to see the Highlight'er component get
the animation we use in Lists built-in, if that is possible. That way
we don't have all of these magic millisecond numbers running around.
Assuming we can do so without disposing of flexibility, but I think
consistency and reuse is most important here. More input on the code
is welcomed, of course..

[1] https://projects.kde.org/projects/kde/kdeplasma-addons/repository/revisions/master/entry/applets/konsoleprofiles/package/contents/ui/konsoleprofiles.qml#L85

Future:

Eventually, as I round-robin some of my other plasma tasks, I'll start
killing some wishes/bugs pertaining to these applets like displaying
the icon of the session, creating new ones, deleting, etc. etc.
whatever would make it most useful/practical; should be quite nice to
do with qml actually, can't wait to see how much more neat it/they can
be made out to be..

--
Shaun Reich,
KDE Software Developer (kde.org)