Plasma system monitor applets to QML?

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 09:38:16 UTC 2012

On Tuesday 03 January 2012, Shaun Reich wrote:
> Well, when I was in the process of writing (and still am), a hdd
> activity (I/O) applet, I ran into some crazy shit that it does.
>
> For instance, did you know that on sourceRemoved or sourceAdded, it
> clears the entire connected sources, removes the applet layout
> entirely, then reloads all of the sources based on a Regular
> Expression, then recreates every visualization (== graph in the
> widget...and there can be n number of graphs in 1 widget).
>
> Anyone else find that silly?

it indeed is

> So I figured "okay, after I'm done with this...I'll have to rewrite
> the system monitor applets to do something sane".
>
> But then I couldn't get the idea out of my head of porting these
> applets to QML ;-)
>
> I noticed it's on the "To port to QML" wiki page, but do you guys
> recommend this? What benefits would it give me, other than being QML.
> Wonder how hard it'll be to get the graphing visualization...not sure
> on how to do that in QML...
>
> I'm so tempted to do so, after my other not-too-big projects..Thoughts? :)

not sure how much makes sense..
all the graphs needs to be ported (well, you can use the qgraphicswidget from
qml and in this case is fine)

this is a case where the port to qml2 will look radically different (qml2 has
a canvas api ported 1:1 from the html5 one, so will be possible to do that
plotter in js only)

so the advice is if you try to port to qml, keep using the old plotter widget
and don't bother reiplementing that thing

--
Marco Martin