Accessing dataengine from different plasmoid

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Feb 21 17:56:58 UTC 2012

On Tuesday, February 21, 2012 17:16:35 Simone Gaiarin wrote:
> I need some explanation on how dataengines work. I can't understand if
> the dataengine is shared among plasmoids or if every plasmoid creates
> his own dataengine that retrive info.

DataEngines are shared and read-only. Services are not shared and are read-
write.

> My purpose is: I create a plasmoid, this plasmoid require a source to
> a dataengine, this source is a pointer to a kprocess. After that I
> create more plasmoids and they should access the same source to get
> the pointer to the KProcess.

sharing pointers via DataEngines in this way is not a great idea. DataEngines
can be accessed remotely, for instance, and then the pointer will be
meaningless (or worse -> cause crashes)

> What I obtain when I call the dataEngine() method from a plasmoid is
> that a new instance of a dataengine is created, so I cannot see source
> requested by other plasmoid because the dataengines are distinct.

are the plasmoids running in the same process? or are you starting them in
different processes (e.g. plasma-desktop and plasmoidviewer)?