Integrate AppMenu into Workspace 4.9

Alex Fiestas afiestas at kde.org
Fri Feb 10 11:12:04 UTC 2012

On Friday, February 10, 2012 12:01:53 PM Cedric Bellegarde wrote:
> Le jeudi 9 février 2012 16:07:13 vous avez écrit :
>
> Hello,
>
> > -Is there any way of integrating oxygen-appmenu without breaking
>
> Oxygen-appmenu is deprecated, you should use this now:
>
> https://gitorious.org/kde-workspace-appmenu
>
> Me and Lionel Chauvin are working to get this ready for KDE 4.9 (and maybe
> merged). We need to start a discussion with Martin and Hugo, on kde-devel?
>
> kde-workspace appmenu branch depends on kded-appmenu (on kde git).
>
> > -How the KDED works?
>
> You just have to use the RegistratClient lib available in kded-appmenu, it's
> quite simple to use:
> mRegistrarClient = new RegistrarClient();
I take that the KDED won't register a com.canonical.Registrar until somebody
is registered to it, right?

> QMenu* menu = mRegistrarClient->menuForWinId(windowId());
Remember that we are going QML, QMenu is perfect for QWidgets but is really
inconvinient either for QML or for stuff running in a thread (happened to me
in the Runner).

Is there any chance this library can return a Model?

> > -Is there any plans to extend libdbusmenu-qt to make it export the
> > menu as a model?
>
> I thinks it's what will be available in libdusmenu2, but not sure, maybe
> Aurelien Gateau can give us some informations.
Yes, dbusmenu2 will be merged to GTK so it seems that this technology is
something solid and accepted.

> Otherwise, i know vertical menu isn't perfect (but IMO, it's quite cool) but
> there is now reason to works on an alternative menu presentation now,
> libdbusmenu2 (i may be wrong) will just give a way to the applications to
> send actions on dbus... I will give a look at GNOME 3.4 to see how this is
> working.
Hey, on this I'm interested !

So, you are saying that libdbusmenu2 will allow GTK applications to expose
actions (any kind) via dbus? pretty much like our KMainWindow does?

Yesterday I was thinking on a way of returning Kiosk to the glory and what I
thought required all actions to be exposed via dbus :)