Data engine update issue in Javascript

Maik Beckmann beckmann.maik at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 8 22:54:43 UTC 2012

Hello,

Forever ago when I switched (back) from the awesome window manager to KDE I've
done a textual system monitor applet in javascript, which shows the most
important system parameters (cpu, memory, network, hdd).  I've cleaned the
source up and decided it might of interested to others.   But there is
an issue I
wasn't able to solve yet: When the applet is added to the desktop or panel,
then the "systemmonitor" doesn't respond.  Only when the plasma-desktop process
is restarted, it starts working.

The following screenshot visualizes the effect.
 - http://wstaw.org/m/2012/02/08/plasma-desktopZ29288.png
In there two applet instances are shown.  The one on top was added followed by
 : kquitapp plasma-desktop
 : plasma-desktop
The one beneath was just added without restarting plasma.

The code in this paste is a condenced version that reproduces the problem
 - http://paste.kde.org/205478/
(and the matching metadata.desktop http://paste.kde.org/205490/ ).  Here a
screenshot that is the equivalent to the one above for the complete applet
 - http://wstaw.org/m/2012/02/08/plasma-desktopl30563.png
Note the problem doesn't occur with plasmoidviewer, only with the actually
running plasma-desktop.

My question: Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Best,
Maik