Kickoff-QML in 4.10 ?

Gregor Tätzner gregor at freenet.de
Thu Dec 27 21:36:01 UTC 2012

thanks for the statement. I've addressed most of the points. Of course we
can't include kickoff-qml into KDE 4.10 anymore, the next target will be 4.11
then.

On Wednesday 14 November 2012 12:50:49 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> I tried it again today and there has been some really good progress, but it
> is not yet ready for merging. Issues that remain include:
>
> e* the tab bar at the bottom is completely separated from the content;
> having the tabs merged with the content so it is obvious which tab is
> selected is one thing that kickoff actually got right.

doesn't sound too easy, I suppose it would be necessary to modify the entire
TabBar and TabButton components...

> * the bread crumb line is functional but very, very unpretty. it's just a
> line of regular pushbuttons, and really it ought to be a "proper"
> breadcrumb with "Root > Leaf > Leaf" style as we have in dolphin.

there is now a very simple Node > Leaf style

> * the bread crumb needs to scroll lef/right when it gets too long; once i
> navigate 4 levels into the menu (i have such a thing for testing exactly
> this sort of thing :) the bread crumb buttons just spill off out the
> right-hand side of the widget
>
> * an animation when switching between levels in the application hierarchi
> would be very nice. the c++ version of kickoff has this and we should not go
> backwards here

sliding to the left, sliding to the right...in the app view now as well

> * games can be shown with their generic names. there's even a TODO for this
> in the code: "TODO: games should always show the by name...really?" yes,
> really. the generic names are useless as they are things like "Card game".
> the kgoldrunner one is particularly fantastic.

I don't really agree on this point. Even if an item uses 'Card game' as it's
title, there still is the real name of the game in the subtitle, right below
the main title and in light grey.
Why should we ignore the user settings, particularly in the games section? In
general, how should the applet/the model know which subtitles are appropriate
to be used as main title and which are not?

> * the QML needs to be updated to match the qml style guide:
>
> 	http://community.kde.org/Plasma/QMLStyle
>
> * when run with location set to top or bottom, the tab bar buttons are
> properly set to be at the top or bottom of the dialog. on left and right,
> however, they remain at the bottom. they should appear vertically on the
> edge closest to the pointer.
>
> problems possibly outside of kickoff-qml, but which block merge:
>
> * i am experiencing crashes here whenever i click into the Search line edit
> and start entering text

this was my fault, already fixed