Mono icons in systray

Nuno Pinheiro nuno at oxygen-icons.org
Wed Dec 12 11:49:44 UTC 2012

A Quarta, 12 de Dezembro de 2012 09:56:42 Mark escreveu:
> On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 8:06 AM, Jacopo De Simoi <wilderkde at gmail.com>
wrote:

> >> using a font would basically raise the entry barrier of doing a new icon
> >> plus infinite or so..
> >
> > This seems to be a very sensible objection; I believe that inkscape can
> > produce svg fonts, which can then be imported in fontforge and tweaked
> > with
> > hinting infos there.
> >
> > This is indeed a considerable overhead; perhaps then one could implement
> > shape-rendering:crispEdges rendering in QtSvg; actually if the svg
> > routines
> > are shared with webkit, it could be that they are already implemented…
> >
> >> having hinting there would be very cool (the shape deformation to fit the
> >> grid, not the horrible color bleeding antialiasing abomination)
> >
> > Allright, subpixel hinting is definitely not your favourite feature; I got
> > your point :D
> >
> > Best,
> >
> >    __J

> My advise: forget QtSvg. It's not developed anymore. It's there as
> "completed" and will only be "kept alive", the Qt team is not going to
> add any features to it unless someone wants to take maintainership. If
> memory serve3s me right the advised way it to use Webkit to render a
> SVG because it's svg support is far better then QtSvg.

SVG is great I love it to bits, buts thats becouse I'm a vector designer and
svg for me is a open AI replacement, now for Ui design I still fail to see
what is the advantage, I end up exporting my svg's to pngs and using those.

PLus my svg's can end up sometimes absurdly complex asking any piece of
software to open a 10 mb svg to show what ever is not very optimal (I have
svg's that take hours to render)
about the scalability, depends realy on what you mean with scalable, math
scalable? sure, true realty like scalable? just as much as you are willing to
work on the svg and had more and more complexity to it.
Praticly  scaling a 2X times biger raster or a svg produces almost identical
results withing a +50%-50% scalability range...and bowth will not be great
BTW.