[RFC] New (QML) Desktop Containment

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 21:15:06 UTC 2012

On Monday 10 December 2012, Sebastian Kügler wrote:

> There are some "tunables" I would like to give you to try with, so it's
> easier to values that "feel right". Those are grid size, delay, visibility
> and opacity of movement halo. I'll have a look at making these
> configurable for a test version so we have good defaults later. The idea
> tough is to just find defaults, those values won't be configurable in the
> final size.
>
> Cheers,

to make it even more condensed (since the discussion derailed a bit on other
topics, that even tough interesting, deserve a separate thread, for
readability), basically the points touched, and in need of feedback are:

* handles behavior: part of the global applet background, that grows on a side
on mouseover: one visual element less if possible, makes less or more visual
noise? has to be tested out

* repositioning of applets according to a grid: ~40px size has been tested
seems small enough, will be made configurable (*just in the testing phase*
will be dpi based afterwards)

* applet "ghost" behavior: it may be valuable information or maybe too noisy:
also that will have tunable opacity (from 0) in test phase

* is acceptable giving behavior configuration options in testing phase and
taking them back afterwards? *even that* should be done carefully

Cheers,
Marco Martin