Moving screen locking away from krunner

Daniel Nicoletti dantti12 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 13:23:42 UTC 2012

Sorry for being a bit late to this thread, but I need to say
that moving the screen saver from krunner to ksmserver
was a very bad decision, let me explain why:
- Screen savers can be made by third parties,
  meaning we can't guarantee their quality
- Screen savers might enter in some loop locking kcmserver
- Screen savers might crash which will close the whole KDE
  session.
No I'm not kidding about the last one. Look at the startkde
script, you will see this line:
kwrapper4 ksmserver $KDEWM
If you know better the script you know it locks at
this point, so as long as ksmserver is running the
script doesn't quit. Crashing ksmserver means
the script will exit that line and finish execution
then the DM will close the session.

I really wouldn't like to lose all my open apps
just because of a broken screen saver.

Please, rethink the move, and move away from
ksmserver it's the most important app not to crash
in a KDE session.
(if you are not convinced kill it)

Best,

2012/12/3 Alex Merry <kde at randomguy3.me.uk>

> On 03/12/12 14:42, Davide Bettio wrote:
> > Nice, I missed that change. Is it possible to backport any fix for
> > plasma-netbook?
>
> Hacky fix for old versions of plasma-netbook:
>
> http://randomguy3.wordpress.com/2011/09/04/screen-locking-with-the-plasma-netbook-interface/
>
> Alex

Daniel Nicoletti

KDE Developer - http://dantti.wordpress.com