move plasma tools to plasmate

Alex Fiestas afiestas at kde.org
Mon Aug 27 12:51:11 UTC 2012

On Monday 27 August 2012 14:25:30 Giorgos Tsiapaliokas wrote:
> On 27 August 2012 11:17, Alex Fiestas <afiestas at kde.org> wrote:
> > Plasmate only allows to create plasmoids javascript based afaik and it is
> > desgined to do only that (which is cool). Imho it is waaaay far from being
> > an
> > sdk.
>
> A side note here, it is also able to
> 1. create datanengines, themes, runners, window switchers, kwin scripts,
> kwin effects,( and window decorations is the near future)
> 2. install the above in the system(either locally or remotly in another
> system)
> 3. it offers previewers(for most of them) and debug output
> 4. and it has GHNS support
>
> Isn't this an sdk? If not what is missing?
The hability to write all fo those in C++ (at least runners and dataengines).

Plus (this is an extra) integrate all of that in kdevplatform/kdevelop at
least and make it easy to integrate with other tools.

For example, what's the best way to test a runner? last time I needed to do
that I had to use krunner (even though somebody told me that plasmate was able
to do that).

Also, we need documentation and implementation of developer stories, make it
easy to know how things should be done.