Activities KCM

Ivan Čukić ivan.cukic at kde.org
Thu Aug 23 13:45:02 UTC 2012

> > This should be done automatically - the activities should be scored based
> > on the current location and stuff like in Plasma Active, and the switcher
> > should sort them by the score, or mark them in some way.
>
> I don't really agree here.  There are some activities you probably
> never want to have at work, for instance a "games" activity.

And that is what the usage statistics should provide. I'm not against the
idea, just don't see a direct benefit. And it would need a new UI for the
activity switcher - it is important that you can access the /hidden/
activities as well. (something like /more/ button)

> > I don't like the idea of starting/switching/stopping activities
> > automatically for any reason. (can exist as a plugin, like VD switching,
> > global shortcuts)
> Is there a plugin system for activity behavior?

Behaviour in what sense?

> However, how does size work?  It looks like there is a ton of wated
> space in the first and second mode (especially second), but suddenly
> all this space gets taken up.  Perhaps the GUI elements should be
> grayed out instead of invisible?

I don't know what to think of this. Hiding is prettier (to me) while disabling
has its own advantages. Anyone else cares to pitch in?

As far as I see, we have both approaches in kcm.

> However, I think something like "Only remember for applications in
> this list" is just as clear, is exactly the same length (in character

The sentence should state that you have selected which applications should be
tracked, choosing from those that have already reported events to kamd. And
that you want to ignore any new applications that come up.

For this, I don't think that  "Only remember for applications in
this list" is specific enough. On the other hand, the word /blacklist/ might
be problematic.

Need more ideas :)

Ch!

--
Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find
easier ways to do something.