[RFC] Merging LightDM into KDE Workspaces

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon Aug 20 16:59:42 UTC 2012

On Monday 20 August 2012 12:34:24 David Edmundson wrote:
> Obviously replacing any KDE application is a bit of a contentious
> issue, especially given that KDM still works adequately, though
> obviously I do feel mine is better. What I would like to do is discuss
> moving LightDM into KDE workspaces _alongside_ KDM and making
> compiling KDM optional, but keeping it enabled by default.
I fully agree here. There is no reason (yet) to remove KDM and the LightDM
greeter and KDM are actually solving different problems (KDM being a full DM
while the LightDM greeter is just a greeter for another DM).

So I fully support the addition of the LightDM greeter as an additional
optional module in kde-workspace. Given that major distributions (Kubuntu and
Debian) are switching to LightDM it makes sense to support this solution.

Best Regards
Martin