move plasma tools to plasmate

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 09:57:15 UTC 2012

On Monday 20 August 2012, Alex Fiestas wrote:

> I agree with aleix, typical example is Designer and Creator or Assistant.
>
> In the QML area, people are being forced to use Creator because the tools
> aren't exported as a different tool, and that pisses people off (all
> emacs,vim,kdevelop,kate users for instance).
>
> Maybe we need a place where we can put everything workspace development
> related? thinking on:

to me the main issue is to not have a window of time in which plasmoidviewer
is out of order, ie in this case plasmate should be released and packaged
before the next kde release.
then splitting the the plasmate repo (or called kde-workspace-sdk ;) in
individual tiny packages with a single tool per package is not an issue.

> -Something to tests kio's
> -Something to test kded's
> -Somethign to test dolphin plugins
> -Something to test KRunners (which btw I have been told that there is such
> thing in plasmate iirc but only there).
> -Something to test Plasmoids/Dataengines
> -More tools to develop those things mentioned before.

yep, i very much like the idea (would add also good old kapptemplate to
generate each one of the above)

> I'm of the idea that we should put everything into kdevplatform since it is
> "kdevplatform" after all.

isn't that more about libraries needed to build an ide?

seems more about what was once intended to be the old still svn kdesdk...

it may need a repository by itself (then i wouldn't have objections to put
plasmate there too since i never liked the millions of tiny git repos but
that's just me ;)

Cheers,
Marco Martin