[kde-promo] Back to basics

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 14:40:32 UTC 2012

On Friday 17 August 2012, Kevin Ottens wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Friday 17 August 2012 14:34:44 Marco Martin wrote:
> > so, going monochrome reduces noise, leaving only what's is actually
> > important reduces noise.
> > something that may be worth trying is to put by default icons of
> > "application" category in the hidden area (can still be explicitly shown
> > by the user) this can already be done reliably now
>
> Wasn't there this idea to have them in the task bar instead? Looking like
> the launchers. I don't remember all the details, it's been a long time...

yeah, at a certain point the idea was to simply always show in the taskbar
tasks with a statusnotifier attached that has "application" as category, not
showing it in the systray.
this was never really done probably because on a side is always in the very
bottom of the priority list for us and both the taskbar and the systray are
quite scary as first contact.
i still think it should be done but probably after the qml port of the taskbar
(so at least slightly less unpretty code to fiddle around)

what i was proposing now was basically mostly a slight behaviour change of the
systray: all icons can be set as "auto", explicitly shown or explicitly
hidden.

could be tried to default as explicitly hidden for all icons of applications
category (or at least hiding by default all the old xembed icons) they can
still be reached in the submenu and configured to be shown.
don't know if the result would be good or nasty tough ;)

Cheers,
Marco Martin