[kde-promo] Back to basics

Nuno Pinheiro nuno at oxygen-icons.org
Thu Aug 16 21:59:00 UTC 2012

A Quinta, 16 de Agosto de 2012 23:46:12 Aleix Pol escreveu:
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 10:47 PM, Nuno Pinheiro <nuno at oxygen-icons.org>
wrote:
> > So i have been thinking lately about, all the things I didn't do and that
> > I failed doing over this last few years, basally getting depressed.
> >
> > But after watching all the wonderful integration the oxygen guys did with
> > interoffice style, realized that in spite of all the things we failed at
> > we
> > managed to do allot of other things really really well.
> >
> > And that lead me to thing that most of those are in the traditional
> > desktop
> > area... you know the basic stuf...
> >
> > one thing lead to another and I acoured to me that the timing is perfect
> > for a release were we focus on the basic desktop, and we market it just
> > like that a "back to basics" release for the big 4.10, so we would do a
> > few litle thing that improve the basic desktop experience the things
> > people use 90% of the time, and we market that, we market that we still
> > care about mouse and keyboard interaction and what works.
> >
> > So I will do a new wallpaper and plasma theme with that in mind. and will
> > blog about its progress and  the reasoning about it. would be fantastic
> > if we could collectively all do a few little improvements with that in
> > mind...
> >
> > So what do we think good idea?

> Well, I agree that showing love to the desktop is important. People
> are constantly crying out loud that we shouldn't try to turn the
> mobile world upside down and care about the users we already have and
> their issues.
>
> On the other hand, we don't have vocabulary for "the desktop" now and
> also I'm unsure what we're expected to do there...

To be honest to me all are desktops, but here I'm talking about the
mouse/keybord driven one, ym sure every one will get it... atention we rea not
discarding all our eforts in all all of our other "desktops" applications,
frameworks etc, but for the upcoming 4.10 we give a extra bit of "love" into
the basics.... again by basics I meen the stuf most people use, aka windows
taskbars, themes integration, etc.