ScreenSaver and KDE Plasma 4.8?

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Thu Sep 29 20:14:59 UTC 2011

Hi all,

the work on the new screen locker implementation is nearly done (I can unlock again :-) and that brings me to an issue
where I wanted to have more opinions: screensaver.

What's important to see: screen locker and screen saver are two different things mixed together for historic reasons.
The screen locker implements the security aspect of preventing someone else to use the screen. The screen saver
shows an animation so that the hardware is not damaged. For some reasons those two things come together and
also the old implementation is together.

The new implementation is about screen locking and not saving. My idea is to improve the screen locking experience
which kind of looks like 1995. Let's reuse the background of the splash screen and show a nice QML-ified dialog for
unlocking. Instead of showing the unlock dialog only when someone moves the mouse, it would always be present. If
the screen has been locked for long time DPMS kicks in and disables the screen (yeah for energy saving).

This means there is no more place for screen savers. It would just not be visible. This also means we don't have the
Plasma Screensaver any more (this might be fixable by using a Plasma containment as the screen locker in the first
place).

But when compositing is turned off, you currently get the plain old implementation including screen savers. And I don't
want to change that code.

So there are some solutions:
* drop screensaver support altogether, probably would create some troubles as evil KDE removed screensavers
* add Plasma widget support to new screen locker implementation but drop screensaver support (same problems as
first option)
* add a fallback to legacy mode if a screen saver is configured. Means same security problems are present again
which were the reason for moving the screen locker to KWin in the first place

Personally I would prefer option 1 with a later implementation of option 2 (if time allows even for 4.8). Option 2 needs
support from Plasma hackers who are all currently fixing up a tablet ;-)

A possible solution for the user issue could be to clearly advertise that security reasons are responsible for removing
screensaver support. Also an improved login process I have in my mind: with only one user configured do not stop at
KDM but log in directly with screen locked. The unlock dialog would then be shown after the complete session has
been loaded, so instant usage after typing in the password.

So looking forward to your comments on the subject.

Cheers
Martin