The case for a kdelibs 4.8

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Sep 29 12:01:50 UTC 2011

Hi,

as you probably already know, a decision was recently made that kdelibs 4.7
would be the last 4.x release series of kdelibs, and work would be ongoing in
the 5.0 (frameworks) and 4.7 (KDE/4.7) branches only. I think this is a huge
mistake, for several reasons (the "TL/DR" crowd can stop right here, but if
you want to know why, please read on!):

1. This puts kdelibs 4 into maintenance mode even before KDE Frameworks 5 is
anywhere near a release, let alone versions of the workspace and applications
actually using it. As a result, we will fail to deliver new features to our
end users for months if not years. And no, kdelibs features do not only target
developers: Some application or workspace features require kdelibs changes, or
in some cases, even consist of kdelibs changes only, e.g. my Plasma PackageKit
integration work is entirely in kdelibs (libplasma).

2. It will be confusing to our users, and even to some packagers, to have a
KDE SC 4.8 on kdelibs 4.7. The rule so far has always been that the kdelibs
version must be the same as the KDE SC version. Changing this will also break
all our Fedora KDE SC specfiles, which all have a:
BuildRequires: kdelibs4-devel >= %{version}
And what will kde4-config --kdeversion output? The version of kdelibs? Users
are going to be confused: "Hey, I installed KDE SC 4.8, why does it say 4.7?"
But if you change kde4-config to output some other package's version (which?
kde4-config is in kdelibs, so that's the only thing you can rely on being
installed at all), you will break Fedora packages even further. (We call
kde4-config --kdeversion at build time to enforce that a package must be run
against a kdelibs >= the version used to build it, because things like the KDE
plugin loader are very strict at enforcing that.) Whatever you do, making the
kdelibs version different from the KDE SC version will make kde4-config much
less useful.

3. Libraries, due to their nature, have a much longer shelf life than the
workspace or applications. In order to keep existing applications working,
distributions ship old (sometimes very old) libraries as compatibility
libraries. For example, Fedora was probably the first distribution to drop the
KDE 3 workspace, but we STILL ship the KDE 3 libraries! And we have no plans
to drop them at this time. And RHEL is supporting them until at least 2017
(the scheduled end of life for RHEL 6). Fedora also still ships GTK+ 1. So it
is just totally backwards to stop developing the libraries before the
workspace and the applications. In fact, it should be just the opposite: We
should continue doing kdelibs 4.x releases even after the rest of KDE SC has
moved on to 5.x! And bugfix releases alone don't cut it: For consistency
between old and new applications, some features should be backported to the
compatibility libraries as well. For example, when we switched our default
spell checker in Fedora from aspell to hunspell in Fedora 9 (i.e. 4.0 era), I
had to add support for hunspell to kdelibs3, or our users would have had to
install 2 spell checkers to use KDE apps! (Even several apps in the default
KDE installation hadn't been ported to kdelibs4 yet in Fedora 9.) That change
never got upstreamed because kdelibs3 is no longer maintained, yet it would
have been useful to many distributions. Please keep the life cycle of your
software for distributors and end users in mind when you decide your
schedules, not just the convenience of a few core developers.

4. The core developers, for whose convenience this change was made, are not
the only ones working or willing to work on kdelibs. The main reason that was
given for dropping kdelibs 4.8 is that this means one less branch to worry
about for the people working on kdelibs, but the people who'd work on 4.8 and
5.0 are NOT the same people! I understand that the developers who are pushing
forward towards the new "frameworks" are not interested in 4.8, but you should
understand that many other KDE contributors are not interested at all in 5.0
at this time. I, for one, will start caring about 5.0 the day some application
(be it a Plasma workspace or a regular application) using it will enter
Rawhide (Fedora's trunk), and I guess other distro folks are feeling the same.
OTOH, I'm very much interested in working on 4.8, and in fact I already did
(see my Plasma PackageKit GSoC work), but my patches are now stuck in
reviewboard and cannot be committed due to the deep freeze. Do you really want
to encourage wild patching by distributions, adding or backporting a patchwork
(pun intended) of features? I remember Aaron Seigo complaining on his blog
about the feature backports done by distributions in 4.0, 4.1 and 4.2 era, but
if you aren't going to allow any new features upstream, you will be leaving us
no choice.

5. We have a master branch which is unused. By convention, the trunk in a
revision control system should be where development happens, not branches.
This unusual setup is confusing both users and developers, see e.g.
http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-windows/2011-September/006070.html

So I am urging you to reconsider your decision and reopen master for those
people willing to work on 4.8. It's not too late yet, there's a month left
until the soft feature freeze for KDE SC 4.8.

        Kevin Kofler