Menubar in Workspace 4.8

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 16:24:40 UTC 2011

On Sunday 25 September 2011, Martin Gräßlin wrote:

> > Personally I'd like to introduce a top panel but of course that would be
> > a major change,
>
> Top panel has a hughe disadvantage in a multi screen setup. This is very
> easy to notice if you use Mac OS X or Unity.

i'm quite against the panel, it promotes the menubar to an importance it lost
since ages, while i'm really in favor of burying it into a menu under the
windeco, since this decreases its importance ;)

> > so imho moving the Menubar to the Titlebar is a good step, since
> > it remove comlexity from the window, and in theory Menubar should be used
> > only for "Options you don't use everyday" right?
>
> There are a few points to it and we already had some discussions in the
> kwin mailinglist and there is already a review request for it [2]. I am
> not sure what the current state of the project is. There are a few
> problems with it: * we cannot provide a generic solution without breaking
> the decoration ABI * license of required Canonical library is incompatible
> with license used by decoration API (GPLv3-only + Copyright Assignment
> (personal notice: I rather reinvent the wheel in chinese wall style than
> contributing to a GPLv3 only + CA library) vs BSD)

what is the lib needed? dbusmenu i suppose? how much of it is in Qt 4.8 and
how many modifications to dbusmenu itself would be needed?

Cheers,
Marco Martin