To much QML options in KDE!

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 13:41:51 UTC 2011

On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 1:43 PM, Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > You have (in kde-runtime/plasma/declarativeimports/):
> > - core (what is in there besides the background stuff?)
>
> svg, dataengines and service access, directly and tough models, access to
> theme colors/fonts, dialogs, tooltips
>
> > - draganddrop (uhh.. ?)
>
> does what it says, drag and you know, drop :p
>
> > - graphicslayouts (what is this supposed to be?)
>
> bindings for qgraphicsLinear/grid layout, and yes, quite deprecated
>
> > - graphicswidgets (So these are the Plasma:: widgets right? Sadly they
> are
> > currently broken and give me this error: "Type dump of C++ plugin failed.
> > Parse error: 7:5: Component defenition is missing a name binding" .. I
> > would like to use this one but it's not working. Could someone
> > knowledgable about that one fix it please?)
>
> seems an installation issue on your side. btw those should be really,
> really
> really avoided at this point, unless a very valid reason to use an element
> from them exist (every time those gets used, makes harder for porting to
> plasma2)
>
> > - plasmacomponents (These are the new components from GSoC right? But why
> > do they look so.. different then the Plasma:: components? These do work
> > btw.)
>
> api wise they at least try to follow the standard used in symbian and meego
> look/behaviour they try to look similar, is not 100% possible to have a
> complete carbon copy, some other visual differences are instead wanted as
> in
> "the way things are supposed to look in the future"
> from now on those are *the* elements to use for graphical widgets
>
> > - qtextracomponents (What is this?)
>
> elements low in the stack in qt that don't have bindings directly, like
> icons,
> pixmaps, qimages useful when the c++ part needs to directly have one of
> those
> visualized
>
> > So we have - at the very least - 2 "component" plugins. graphicswidgets
> > and plasmacomponents, but which one am i supposed to use when re-creating
> > the plasma panel tool box? Right now i go for plasmacomponents since it's
> > working..
>
> bits of Components and bits of Core.. ignore graphicswidgets.
>
> actually, the plasma toolbox menu api/behaviour wise is very similar to the
> "menu" component now that i think about it...
> i have now implemented it as a standard QMenu, thinking about it there are
> both usecases for having it done like that and use cases to have a themed
> on
> scene one like the toolbox menu.
>
> do you have already code for this?
> i think we can try to do a component that depending from some factor (type
> of
> the menu item? extra api?) can behave both as a qmenu or as a styled thing.
>
> I'm losing you.. What do you mean with QMenu?
Well, i have "some" code but that's very basic and not even functioning the
way i want.. It's basically just showing a QML file and that QML file is
just a plain QML example that pops up when i press the plasma tool box
button. So nothing worth sharing yet ;p

> > But can't we clean this stuff up a bit, remove what we don't need and
> just
>
> everything that's there is here for a reason :p
> (there is so much stuff, because qml is missing that much stuff and even
> more
> to be actually useful :p)
> now, i would love to remove graphicslayouts and graphicswidgets, but it's
> released api, so we can't just yank it from the kde4 series, besides
> unfortunately graphicswidgets are still needed for some corner cases

Sounds like some nice cleanups will get done here with KDE 5.0.

> > have "components" for the rest? Then a nice wiki page that explains
> what's
> > all in the components.
>
> a wiki pages does exist, explains only core right  now, expansions are
> appreciated of course ;)

Yeah, expansions are needed there and it would be nice if the people that
know about it could edit it (you ^_-)

> Cheers,
> Marco Martin

Cheers,