IconTasks taskmanager changes

Jan Gerrit José Marker jangerrit at weiler-marker.com
Fri Oct 28 21:40:03 UTC 2011

On Thursday 27 October 2011 14:10:50 Craig Drummond wrote:
[snip]
> No, just to now allow it. And for the user to be prompted to locate the
> launcher.
> > > I cant imagine many people pinning kcm's.
> >
> > yes, it's an edge case for certain. would be nice if it works, all the
> > same.
>
> But, is it worth adding work-arounds for such an edge case? Why bloat the
> code with something that is unlikely to occur? At least I dont see it as a
> blocker for the current implementation, just maybe a TODO for later.

You don't want the code to be bloated because of covering each corner-case.
Maybe that you can add a plug-in structure (later) that would delegate the
matching to different per application plug-ins. So there would be different
plug-ins (in the best case they would be scripts) e.g. for Wine, the KCM
shells, LibreOffice etc. which would try to find a desktop file, create one if
necessary, in the case of telepathy they could even stop the matching and say
"No, this application should not be pinned" (see the email from David
Edmundson) or do nothing if they would not know what to do. After asking the
plug-ins the library would use the current matching (could be in a separate
plug-in which is executed last, though) and would finally ask the user about a
desktop file. Using Synchrotron the plug-ins could be shipped and updated
easily to work with new or changed applications.
That would prevent from bloating the code and would make the matching more
flexible.