IconTasks taskmanager changes

Anton Kreuzkamp akreuzkamp at web.de
Thu Oct 27 17:32:08 UTC 2011

On Thursday 27 October 2011 16:21:28 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Thursday, October 27, 2011 14:44:17 todd rme wrote:
> > This may be an ignorant question, but what is wrong with using the
> > existing application picker dialog as-is? As best as I can tell it
>
> nothing. the question isn't whether or not to use the application picker
> dialog (we all seem to agree it makes sense as a last resort), but how much
> we should try to _avoid_ having to use it.

Well, I don't agree. The dialog shows an autogenerated list of desktop-files.
What the user will now do is to compare the application names. The computer
can do that, too. If it currently doesn't, that needs to be fixed instead of
passing on the work to the user. The dialog might be a acceptable workarround
for the time beeing, though.

> why avoid it? because if it "just works" then that's better for the user.
> having to find the "right" app in the app picker tree when we can't even
> manage that programmatically is a significant interuption. we should avoid
> that if possible.

Cheers, Anton