Creation of the kde-workspace team

Alex Fiestas afiestas at kde.org
Thu Oct 27 11:01:09 UTC 2011

If you're subcribed to plasma-devel mailing list, you will probably know that
I have been dumping emails about global changes into this list, the last one
being the one with subject "Thoughts about statusbar". In that thread some
people asked why these kind of issues were discussed in plasma-devel mailist
instead of for example in kde-usability. Well the thing is that in my opinion
there is no right place to talk about this kind of things since some times
they are not only about usability, so when I have an idea or I think that we
should discuss about something that invovles the "overall experienice" I send
it to plasma-devel since it is the mailist where most dekstop involved parties
hangout.

My proposal to solve this empty spot, is to create a working group focused in
the overall experience within the desktop. This group should work much more
like Plasma Active does, meaning a designer oriented development (correct me
if I'm wrong).

With KDE morphed into a community of subcommunities we need to create the
"Desktop" community so we can gather all people interested in the topic and
work together to continue working in what we do best, offer a unified
experience across all applications.

The definition of what this workspace team should do or care about is
something I'd like to do in a separate thread or irc meeting.

As why I'm sending this email to plasma-devel/kwin/oxygen is because those are
the main 3 teams working and spending thinking time in the desktop so it seems
to me like a perfect starting point or organizing such thing.

So, do you think that we need such team/working group/subcommunity ? do you
feel that there is an empty spot as I do ?