IconTasks taskmanager changes

Craig Drummond Craig.Drummond at gmx.net
Wed Oct 26 11:30:56 UTC 2011

For the last couple of months I've been working on an icon-only task bar called IconTasks. (I've just uploaded the latest, 0.8.1, to kde-look - http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/Icon+Tasks?content=144808)

This contains a forked version of taskmanager, which I would like to fold back into the main taskmanager code. Seeing as soft feature freeze is on the 27th (tomorrow!), I thought I should ask if it is ok to add this to the feature plan. (Also, should I add IconTasks itself (say for plasma-addons) as well?)

The main changes to the taskmanager library aren't really that much;

1. I've changed the way launchers are stored - this is so that I can save the order, so that users may manually re-order them. This means code would need to be written to convert any existing config to this new scheme.

2. When 'pinning' an app to the taskbar where the taskmanager cannot determine the desktop file (as happens even for System Settings!), the existing taskmanager embeds a copy of the tasks icon, and other details, into the plasma config file. Icon Tasks instead will prompt the user to select the app from the list of installed applications.

3. I've added more queries to attempt to automatically determine the desktop file for a window. If this fails, the user is prompted to manually set the launcher.

4. Option to have simple right-click menus for tasks

5. 'Start New Instance' right-click action.

6. Allow applet to supply task actions to appear at top of right-click menu. This is where IconTasks will place DockManager/Unity supplied menus, and display the list of recent documents.

...and that's basically it for the taskmanager changes. There's a *lot* of debug code, #ifdef'ed out, that would need to be removed. The only sticking point, AFAIK, will be the reading of pre-existing launchers where these are not mapped to a .desktop file. As I said, IconTasks does not support this - and I don't think embedding the icon, etc, in the config file is a good idea anyway.

So, should I add these changes to the feature plan? I wont actually do any merges without posting diffs for review first. Or is it just too late, in which case I can wait for 4.9 :-)

Craig.