Review Request: Workaround Taskbar ghost entries bug

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Oct 5 20:03:39 UTC 2011

On Wednesday, October 5, 2011 20:08:55 Craig Drummond wrote:
> I don’t know if its related, but whilst working on IconTasks I noticed that
> items set to be deleted via deleteLater (in TaskGroupItem::itemRemoved and
> TaskManager::TaskItem) were not being deleted until after the app
> (plasmoidviewer / plasma-desktop) had terminated.

the only way deleteLater() will not delete is if the event loop is never
entered. so i'm very suspicious about this claim; perhaps it looked like this
is what was happening .. but i doubt that is what was happening, at least as
described here ...

however, if indeed, items are not getting deleted until app termination, that
would _certainly_ explain the situations we're seeing.

> To trace this I put debug
> when deleteLater was called, and then in the destructor. I have checked with

are you sure it was the same object (e.g. same address in memory?), and not
just a task item with, e.g., the same name?

> I worked-around this by using a single-shot QTimer to call deleteLater() -
> but this seems a little hacky to me.

can you share the patch that does this so i can see what is going on first-
hand? thanks! :)

> p.s. I also noticed a bug with AbstractTaskItem::setGeometry(). If the
> passed in geometry is the same as the current geometry, the layout
> animation and update-geometry timers need to be stopped. Otherwise a gap
> can appear when a group of items is closed all at once.

patches very much welcome for these kinds of issues :)

humru othro a kohnu se