Replace kimpanel in kdeplasma-addons with a rewrite version

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Oct 4 15:19:40 UTC 2011

On Monday, September 19, 2011 20:39:11 Weng Xuetian wrote:
> So I rewrite kimpanel (Use the same dbus protocol), and use dataengine

*resurrects and old thread* :)

so this is now in git .. and we need to decide what we are going to do with
it. my suggestion is this, and i'd like comments on it as it would mean some
moderately large changes:

* we remove kimpanel from kdeplasma-addons
* the new kimpanel takes its place, and we communicate this to packagers
* we roll a release of the kimpanel along with every SC release if there were
changes since the last SC release
* we roll new releases of the new kimpanel whenever justified regardless of SC
schedule so people don't have to wait :)

so far, probably nothing SHOCKING, right? :)

let's fix that ... :P

we have the keyboard container and the keyboard widget in two other
repositories. the plasmoid is in addons, the container shell is in plasma-
mobile.

i propose that we take the kimpanel repository, call it "plasma-intputmethods"
(or something similar) and put ALL of our input method related code there.
that would include:

* kimpanel
* keyboard container shell
* on-screen keyboard widget
* anything else?

if we were to get REALLY dramatic we could put kxkb or even klipper in there,
but i'm still debating with myself as to how far to take this new module. what
i do know is i'd like all our input stuff in one place instead of spread out
all over the place. these components seem to develop at their own pace and are
related to each other topically ...

thoughts?

humru othro a kohnu se