The future of Power Management - together with Activities

Dario Freddi drf54321 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 17:32:38 UTC 2011

On Sunday 02 October 2011 17:04:50 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> On Saturday 01 October 2011 16:27:48 Dario Freddi wrote:
> > Hello all, and sorry for cross-posting.
> >
> > Hopefully, this solution will please everyone and will make activities
> > even more useful. Do you like it? More suggestions? Speak now or shut up
> > forever!
>
> Hi all,
>
> I urge everyone to calm down about this subject. By now I think Dario and
> the other Solid hackers have explained quite good what they want to do and
> sorry to say so most comments on the thread are just triggered by being
> badly informed.
>
> I did not understand the idea from Dario's first mail either, but now I
> have got the idea and completely trust in the decision of the experts. I
> am reassured that the manual tweaking is still possible - and I personally
> only change screen brightness and turn off wifi to save power. Everything
> else is to do the opposite and there activities are a perfect solution. If
> I am in the activity "watching video" I do not want the screen to blank.
> Using activities for such advanced features is as good as using anything
> else.
>
> So please calmn down and lets focus on improving the user experience by not
> spending too much time on too long threads.

Thanks for your mail. I will conclude the argument by saying that the
skepticals can now check out, in kde-workspace, my branch dafre/new-
powerdevil, which is implementing everything I said (new applet, new profile
handling) except for activities, which hopefully will be coming this week. You
can see with your own eyes you can still tweak everything you could tweak
before. And the UI finally looks good.

--

Dario Freddi
KDE Developer