The future of Power Management - together with Activities

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Oct 2 00:35:34 UTC 2011

Dario Freddi wrote:
> we plan to remove the "Warning" step

Uhm, wait a minute… Do you mean you will just suspend or shut down the
machine with no warning whatsoever? If that's really what you mean, to me,
this sounds incredibly rude and might lead to data loss – especially if
"shut down" is the chosen option, but even suspending or hibernating can be
fatal, e.g. for online games (and yes, there's now wireless Internet,
whereas wireless power has yet to be invented, at least one which works at a
distance of more than a couple cm ;-) ), or if a kernel bug is breaking the
suspending.

So far all the discussion has focused on the "activities" thing, but if you
really mean what I think you mean, this issue is even more important. We
MUST give the user a chance to save his/her work and/or to plug the power in
before we trigger a shutdown or suspend.

        Kevin Kofler