The future of Power Management - together with Activities

Dario Freddi drf54321 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 18:35:32 UTC 2011

On Saturday 01 October 2011 19:33:06 Andras Mantia wrote:
> On Saturday, October 01, 2011 16:27:48 Dario Freddi wrote:
> > Hello all, and sorry for cross-posting.
> >
> >  [...]
>
> I can't comment on activities, never used them, nor feel the need to use
> them. So this sounds more like the power management applet would force
> me to create and use activites.

Well, if you like to see it that way, yes. Or better, we are trying to drive
forward the concept of "one environment, one setting", where depending on what
you do, the system is going to adapt.

>  What I can say that I use the selection combo between the different
> power management schemes from time to time, as I can do the same thing
> (e.g developing so not anything like now I develop and then switch to
> mail reading/watching a movie), but depending on the battery status and
> the known time until I can recharge the battery, I can tweak the power
> management setting. There is no way any software could guess when will I
> be able to recharge my battery.

There is still a rationale behind that. If you are in a situation where you
are actually *using* your PC, the only setting available (at the moment) which
is going to affect your battery life is brightness - everything else is
depending on the idle time, and in an emergency situation one would simply
close the lid and suspend straight away.

Given the power manager is already smart enough to remember your brightness
level until you switch state, you are already covered on that part. You might
be losing something if you are using the "Run Script" part indeed or if we are
going to add something (like auto-switching off peripherals) in the future -
for that I have no fix, unless creating a special "Powersave" activity, which
is not very different from what you do now, and you also have a shortcut for
switching to it, and I think it's an acceptable drawback for the gain we get
in return.